A place with a great history.
The Klosterhof in the Wachau Valley is a former “Lesehof” (wine press house) of St. Göttweig Abbey. Its origin dates back into the 12th century. For several centuries, the estate – as well as Göttweig Abbey – belonged to the episcopal possessions of Passau under the name “Curia Mostinkch”. Over the course of time and after several owners, the Klosterhof finally obtained its present-day appearance. It is conspicuously located on the former border stream “Mystrica” (Mieslingbach) at the entrance to the town of Spitz.
Situated directly on the “Danube long-distance cycling route Passau – Vienna”, the Klosterhof is a starting point for hikes along the “Welterbesteig” (World Heritage Trail) in the vineyards of Wachau Valley towards Melk Abbey. After a long Sleeping Beauty slumber, the “Weinkolleg Wachau” (“Wachau Wine College”) came into existence in the historic walls of the premises. Thanks to its extensive garden, farm and restaurant operation, the Klosterhof also served as home to the “Ostarrichi Weinritterschaft Wachau” (“Austrian Knights of Wine in the Wachau”). The Klosterhof was completely renovated by the new owners in 2011.
Since July 2012 it shines n new splendour and once again welcomes all guests.
Document from 14th of July 1409
[free translation from older Austrian dialect]
Signature: 1409 VII 22 Abbott Peter [II] and the Kottweig Convent sell their freed farm near Spitz in Mostnikch1 below the stream in the Tiernstainer tribunal district to the heirs of Marics von Spicz, steward in Arnstorff, and Dorothea his wife for 100 lb. Wiener d., which was paid to them in guilders. But according to the document they have left the same to the humble Paull the Hainfellder, citizen of Spitz, and his wife Anna, for half the annual amount of wine during their lifetime, with the condition that the designated purchaser of the same annually receives half the amount of wine during his lifetime, and after their death shall possess the entire farm with all rights. Signatory: Abbot Peter [II] and the Kottweig Convent. Date: given on Day of Saint Maria Magdalena [Mary Magdalene] (1409). Register source: FUCHS, Göttweig II (=FRA II/52, Wien 1901) p. 86-87, No. 985